Elizabeth Marsh (nee Milbourne)
of Chatham and Sheerness Dockyards, Kent
Born: 29 September 1687 and died 17?? Possibly
died June 1763 as there is an Elizabeth Marsh buried in Portsea, 30 June 1763.
Grandaughter of: John Milbourne (?-?) of Northumberland.
Daughter of: John Milbourne (16??-1722) of Northumberland.
1. Mrs Warren mother of Milbourne Warren (?1783). See Diary of George Marsh.
2. Sister name not known.
3. Sister name not known.
4. Sister name not known.
Elizabeth married: in St Mary's, Portsea, 24 September 1707 George Marsh RN (1683-17??) son of Francis Marsh (1643-17??) and Hannah Marsh (nee ?).
Elizabeth and George had issue:
1. Francis Marsh (1708-17??), Army Officer, died unmarried.
2. Milbourne Marsh (1709-17 ), who married ?
3. Mary Duval (nee Marsh, 1712-17??) who married Mr Duval.
4. George Marsh (1714-171?) who died an infant.
5. Daniel Marsh (1715-17??). Christened 14 February 1715 at St Mary's, Portsea, Hampshire. Naval Officer or a Shipwright who possibly died in 1740 in an accident at work.
6. John Marsh (1718-17??). Christened 9 June 1718 at St Mary's, Portsea, Hampshire.
7. Isaac Marsh (1720-17??), Naval Officer. Possibly the Isaac Marsh buried 10 November 1750 at Christ Church, Spitalfields, Middelsex, London.
8. George Marsh (1722-1800) who married Ann Long (1720-1784).
9. Eliza Marsh (1724-17??) who died unmarried.
Elizabeth Marsh (nee Milbourne): An Overview
We know of Elizabeth from the following sources:
1. "History of the Ancient Family of Marsh" by Joseph J. Green, Archivist and Genealogist, 1903, revised to date by Wm. Ernest Marsh, of Marston, Bromley, Kent, 1912.
2. Diary of her son George Marsh (1722-1800).
The note in the History of the Ancient Family of Marsh reads as follows:
George Marsh, RN, Officer in Chatham and Sheerness Dockyards, eldest son of Francis Marsh of Titchfield and Hannah his wife, born 1683, married September 1707 Elizabeth, daughter of John Milbourne, of Milbourne, Northumberland. She was born 19th September 1687. It was her grandfather who was the great friend of the Marquis of Montrose who was put to death by the Covenanters in 1650. There are several printed pedegrees of this family of Milbourne, Milborn, or Milburn. John Milburne Esq of Chirton, Northumberland, married Esther (baptised 19th April 1653) daughter of Robert Spearman Esq, of Preston, and Dorothy Pattison of Boldon, County Durham, his wife; and her nephew William Spearman Esq, baptised 1707 (brother to Robert Spearman of Old Acres, County Durham, baptised 1702-3, a distinguished Biblical scholar, and whose "memory" says Hutchinson, in his History of Durham "is immortal in the literary world, and who for his erudition, was not more illustrious than for his private virtues") married Hannah, daughter of Mr Milburne of County Durham. Ralph Madysonne of Uthanke, living 1615, married as his second wife Isabelle, daughter of John Milburne, and Christopher Hutchinson, aged 26, in 1666 married Susan daughter of William Milborne of Newcastle.
If you have any information to add to what is listed please contact
me on email@example.com