Hannah Elizabeth Roscoe (nee Caldwell)
Born: 11 September 1785 in
Newcastle under Lyme and died 15 February 1854.
Daughter of: James Caldwell (1759-1838) and Elizabeth Caldwell (nee Stamford, 1755-1831).
1. James Stamford Caldwell (1786-1858).
2. Mary Caldwell (1789-1813).
3. Anne Marsh Caldwell (1791-1874) who married Arthur Cuthbert Marsh (1786-1849).
4. Margaret Emma Holland (nee Caldwell, 1792-1830) who married Sir Henry Holland (1788-1873).
5. Catherine Louisa Caldwell, born 6 June, baptized 15 June 1794 and died 20 August 1814 aged 20.
6. Frances Caldwell, died 14 February 1801 aged 5.
Hannah married: Willam Stanley Roscoe (1782-1843), 10 September 1818 in St James, Audley.
Hannah and William had issue:
1. Elizabeth Jane Roscoe (1820-1846).
2. Anna Mary Hutton (nee Roscoe) (1821-1852) who married Richard Hutton.
3. William Caldwell Roscoe (1823-1859) who married Emily Sophia Malin.
4. Arthur Roscoe (1825-after 1903).
5. Thomas Stamford Roscoe (1826-1910).
6. Francis James Roscoe (1830-1878) who married Anna Letitia Le Breton (1835-1922).
Hannah Eliza Roscoe: An Overview
I know very little about Hannah except that her portrait exists in the Walker Gallery in Liverpool. It was bequeathed to the gallery in 1950 by Mrs Agnes Muriel Roscoe, together with a large collection originally amassed by William Roscoe (1753-1831). This collection also included a portrait of Thomas Bentley.
Hannah was called Eliza by her father James Caldwell. She was earlier engaged to be married to General Skerratt (Skeret) but he was killed in military action 10 March 1814, at Bergenopzoom in Holland. She later married William Stanley Roscoe 10 September 1818.
Hannah Eliza Roscoe died 15 February 1854 aged 68 at Park Road, Richmond, London. She is buried in Renshaw Street burial ground.
I understand that more information about the history of the Roscoe family can be found in the book "Roscoeana" which was privately printed in 1905.
If you have any information to add to what is listed please contact
me on firstname.lastname@example.org