Skip to main content

Richard Stanley Jones (1908-1979) known as "Stanley"

Stanely was born 7 March 1908 at 227 Castle Boulevard, Nottingham.

Stanley was the son of Arthur John Jones and Ruth Roe (1889-1961).

Stanley was the brother of:

Doris Elizabeth Jones (1909-1960?) who married Douglas Wrigley.  Doris and Douglas had two sons, Nigel and Neil.
Gladys May Jones (1912-1974?).  Gladys had one son, Owen Jones.

Stanley married Dora Alice Bloor (1906-1990) who was the daughter of Edward Allen Bloor (1861-1946) and Ellen Osborne (1866-1954).

Stanley and Dora had two daughters:

Dora Ann Jones (born 1935) who married James Alexander Heath-Caldwell (1930-2023) and later Frank Featherston Wright.

Edna Bloor who married ...

Stanley and Dora separated in the early 1940s and he later lived with Noreen (Ethel Grace Noreen Slack nee Pass, born around 1913).  Stanley and Noreen later married 22 August 1958.  At that stage they were living at 66 Tudor Road, Leicester. 

Stanley and Noreen had two children.

Sue Potter nee Jones (born 7 March 1946).

Donald Jones (born around 1944 and later changed his name to Tyrell).

After Stanley left Dora and his two daughters in the early 1940s he had no further communication with them until his Daugher Dora made contact in 1977.  He later wrote to Dora and mentioned about some of his life.  Extracts from his letters read as follows:

Letter from R.S. Jones to Dora.
11 The Avenue
Berks RS7-3QU

26 June 1977

When we moved to Lindum House at Whatton-in-the-Vale I had just retired from my electrical business due mainly to indifferent health. You will perhaps remember that we spent most of the summers at our bungalow by the sea at Chapel St.Leonards. I spent a lot of time fishing whilst you two went down to the beach.

Later I started dealing in real estate and acquired a considerable amount of property (which I gave to your mother when I left).

At the commencement of the war we moved to Trent View at Burton Joyce. It was during this time that I was asked by the Carlton Council to take charge of and organise the fixed and mobile operating theatre for their A.R.P. which it would seem I did to their satisfaction. It was there that I met Noreen, my present wife.

When my age group became due for call-up I tried to get into the R.H.F. but was told that I was too old. I was offered a post in the Navy where they said my electronic experience would be useful. I accepted this with some trepidation as I am no sailor. I like to be by the sea or in the sea but not on it. I remember much later on in the war I had to test and examine some Navel gun equipment and one of the tests was carried out on a platform which simulated the movement of a ship’s deck, oh my! Was I glad to get off that, but I digress.

During the period of waiting for my call-up papers a friend of mine suggested that I would have preferred the R.A.F. why not approach the Aeronautical Inspection Directorate as they were advertising for staff.

I followed this advice and soon found in front of an examination board in Birmingham and later at a training school in Bristol where I did exceedingly well in the exams.

How I managed to do so well is a mystery to me because we never got to bed before about seven-thirty in the morning having spent most of the night dealing with the fire bombs and comforting old folk.

I fully expected to do some square bashing and to be issued with a uniform but no, all I got was a little badge marked A.I.D. and a pass giving me the right of entry into almost every establishment engaged in government work. Too late I could not get out.

I next found myself in a pleasant little village in the heart of Wiltshire working in a lovely old country house with the Wiltshire Avon running through the grounds, lovely for swimming.

In this place we were dealing with R.D.F. which was the forerunner of Radar and very busy in we were. Jerry tried to find us several times and came very close. He did manage to drop thirteen bombs in the fields at the back of my digs leaving a row of dirty big holes for folks to gaze at.

It was here that I paid for my hectic time in Bristol, I went down with pneumonia and according to the doctor only just made it.

Eventually I managed to get a transfer to the Midlands to Mansfield and was able to try and return to Trent View. I tried but it was just no good, it did not work and I gave up.

As the war hotted up I was transferred to A.V Roe’s Aerodrome at Langar near Whatton-in-the-Vale where I was responsible for the acceptance of all electrical radio radars and flying instrument installations in Lancaster aircraft.

From Langar I went to Leicester District Office where I was responsible for the acceptance of all types of electronic equipment and became involved in micro-wave, wave-guide systems, this necessitated a considerable amount of travelling and to give advice on the methods of testing wave-guard equipment.

It was during this period that Norreen and I set up house in Leicester, we already had a son Bill and now Susan was born.

At the end of the war I left the Civil Service to try and pick up the threads of my property business. All went well for a few years but alas, what with cumbersome restrictions and difficult labour relations the company failed and I was out flat on my back without a penny to my name.

After a year of uncertainty Norreen noticed an advert in the paper for A.I.D. staff. I applied and was immediately accepted on promotion and was posted to B.T.H. in Leicester to deal with ground radar equipment. From there I was posted to head office in Birmingham and after a while I managed to get a posting to A.W.A. Aerodrome at Bitterwell near Leicester.

The post entailed the visiting of all the production units for aircraft in the eastern region and the attendance at conferences in London and various other cities.

Afterwards I came to Burghfeild R.O.F. to deal with nuclear electronics again many conferences, some lecturing and much travel.

At last in 1973 I retired and we now have a nice two bedroom bungalow in a delightful village on the border of Berkshire and Hampshire. We have half an acre of garden and manage to grow most of our vegetables and fruit, the surplus Norreen either bottles or puts into deep freeze for the winter.

Letter from R.S. Jones to Dora.
11 The Avenue
Berks RS7-3QU

19 September 1977

I did not visit any of the R.A.F. stations you mention as at that period I was involved in radar installations and spent most of my time on liaison visits to the manufacturers including A.V.Roe at Langar, Manchester Armstrong Whitworth at Coventry, Austin A/C at Leicester, Gloucester A/C, Brooklands Aviation at Moulton etc. etc

I subsequently visited a number of R.A.F. stations  in connection with other methods of offence.

Letter - R.S. Jones to Dora.
11 The Avenue
Berks RS7-3QU

10 February 1978

You mention Lily and Margaret. I know Lily is your mother’s sister but who is Margaret? There was Lily and Aubrey and they had three girls, then Hector and his wife (I’ve forgotten her name) and they had one boy and there was Lizzie and Dan who had one boy. Dan died many years ago and Lizzie remarried, I don’t know the name of her second husband.



Prior to the war it is thought that Stanley may have been working for Ericssons working on telephone network equipment.

Stanley is recorded as enrolling at University College Nottingham (University of Nottingham) in 1943 to study Electrical Engineering as an evening student but it would appear that he did not finish the course.

Stanley received a substantial inheritance from Mary Elizabeth Rossell (of Lindum House, died 4 April 1935), and Ethel Osborne.  I may be that Elizabeth's money came from Martha Ann Jones also of Linham house, died 24 Oct, 1917.  Mary Elizabeth Rossell died 4 April 1935. One quarter of the estate was left to Stanley and his two sisters, Doris E Wrigley and Miss Gladys Jones.  Another quarter was left to Mr A J Buckley.  Another quarter to the children of Mrs M E Swift.  Another quarter to the children of Jane Dodsley.

In 1973 Stanley received money from the estate of Martha Ann Jones of Linham House, 1 Burns Street, Nottingham, who died 24 October, 1917.  


If you have any more information please do contact me.