Skip to main content


Diary of John Augustus Milbourne Marsh (1819-1891) 1859

Diary of John Augustus Milbourne Marsh (1819-1891) 1859


John Augustus Milbourne Marsh



Friday 24th June 1859

Left Sydney. Wished the Stuart-Russells good bye, and afterwards paid a visit to the Forbes in the Domain: Saw David at his new Chambers. I left "Penrith," the last 10 miles I drove in the dark, had to light my lamps, not having left Parramatta till 4 p.m. The Bathurst Mail robbed this morning of all the Mail Bags by 2 armed men; Bayley the Attorney General, one of the messengers, who was walking up in Victoria a little in advance of the Coach. He has offered 100 reward on the part of the Government. Wrote to Kate Forbes.


Saturday 25th June 1859

Slept at Blue Mountain Inn. Broke 4 of the leaves of my Springs at Springwood. Whilst driving over that horrid country road, placed there by David Scott when inspector of Roads; delayed 3 hours, in getting the springs bound up with cord, and therefore only drove 29 miles. The last few miles very heavy pulling owing to the road.


Sunday 26th June 1859

Breakfasted or rather lunched, at Sheringham's Inn at the foot of Mt.Victoria. Met Ryan Brenan there on a canvasing expedition: he is one of the candidates for Hartley, and that neighbourhood in opposition to Rottom.

Raining all day, the roads becoming heavy and sloppy. Reached Bowenfells at 7 o'clock. After being in some time Captain Battye and his black boy, arrived from Bathurst, having come for the purpose of searching for the stolen letter bags. He tells me two men are taken with some of the letters found in their possession. He means to take them out with him, and help them out night and day. All the letter bags are found, as it happens to be pouring with rain and likely to continue for some days, his idea of taking the fellows with him is a good one, for they would like the exposure all night without fire or blankets, and one or the other is sure to peach(?)

D Love 33 miles today.


Monday 27th June 1859

Started at 8 o'clock, the rain just then recommenced, and continued nearly all day. Lunched at Dunach and just as I was leaving George Pinnock hove in sight having brought "Captain" to rest "Tom" the remainder of the journey, however, he was just as fresh, and I did not change horses, but drove him into Bathurst.

42 miles today. Found all well


Tuesday July 

Drove to Beneedale with Grace and Mrs Dowling. Lutton ill in bed. Saw Mrs Lutton and Carry. All the Clements were there having a visit.


Saturday 9th July 1859

Engaged Thomas Arundel for a year from date, at 10/- per week payable every six months. 


Sunday 10th July 1859(light pencil)

--- arrived from Sydney 


Friday 15th July 1859

Mrs Dowling, Mr Bathe, -- , Gore, -- also Mrs Fox and Mr Fox. 


Sunday 17th July 1859

In Church in the morning only. 


Tuesday 19th July 1859

Smattering of rain. 


Wednesday 20t July 1859


Sun rise 7.4

Sun set 5.7


Thursday 21st July 1859

Burness left for Wagga Wagga. 


Friday 22nd July 1859

Intended to leave today, but waited to see Dowling who came in from "Orange" in the afternoon. Got directions from him as to the road to "Illadgee."


Saturday 23rd July 1859

Left Bathurst at 10 o'clock before dinner however and went to "Soan Bank" where as usual I was most hospitably entertained. Mrs Campbell junior and Mary Busby are staying there, and after I arrived a Mr Aitken for the Bank and young Kate came.

All trying their hands at writing poetry. A rather fashionable game now in Bathurst. 


Sunday 24th July 1859

Left the Campbells after breakfast. Lunched at Durack's Inn. Met old Lee there. Sent a few lines by him to Grace. Drove to "Piper's Flat" and reached "Wallerawang" at sunset, hospitably received by Mr and Mrs Sidy (Lidey). Miss de Phillipsthall is staying there, and Mr Troughton the Clergyman of Hartley, came over from thence, to do duty.

Drove 27 miles, at least I consider it 15 from Campbells to Duracks, and 12 from Duracks to "Wallerawang." Mrs Sidey is a daughter of old Walker of the above place.


Monday 25th July 1859

Left "Wallerawang" about 10 o'clock. Mr Troughton rode part of the way with me, about six or seven miles. Troughton was riding a mare once belonging to Paterson of "Indian Civil Service" who married Miss Evernden. The road very good as far as 'Ben Bullen" and the Crown Ridge. The last 10 miles to "Barnabys" not so good. Going down one of the hills, "Captain" made a trip and one of my shafts snapped asunder! Cut a sapling and bound it up with rope, which carried me safe to Barnaby's (namd---x) Drove 32 miles. Blacksmith here patched up the broken shaft for me, but made a regular botch of it. 


Tuesday 26th July 1859

Made a very early start, before the moon or stars had set, before daylight had appeared. I never felt so chilly before, my hands and feet perfectly frost bitten! The first 6 miles of the road very bad, particularly "Cherry Tree Hill."

Breakfasted at Radford's about 14 miles. Afterwards drove straight on to "Mudgee" without stopping, passed through "Talerabucka(?)" Swamp. The last 10 miles a dead  level road. Passed Solomans's (Boldman's?) the "Big Hill" 7 miles from "Mudgee."

Drove 48 miles today. Put up at Hewson's Hotel. Very large and very good. Wrote to Grace.


Wednesday 27th July 1859

My dogert (Dog cart?) shaft was not finished till late in the afternoon. And therefore I only drove 8 miles out of Mudgee, to Mr C. Lowes, who, as well as his wife, received me most hospitably and kindly.

Wrote to Grace from Mudgee.

The house has lately been built by Lowe and it seems very well placed and arranged the best residence in the county I have seen.


Thursday 28th July 1859

Left Mr Lowes after breakfast at 11 o'clock, a lovely day. Met Davidson and McDay (Mr Day?) about 10 miles from Lowes, driving Tandem, the road very good indeed as far as "Kepdash(?)" 21 miles from Lowes. The last 10 not so good. Stopped at Bowman's and later "Merothery" about 32 miles from Lowes. Got both hay and corn for my horses. The accommodation for myself very bad. I understand Langley formerly C.P.S. at Parramatta has been managing for Bowman here and only left a few weeks ago.


Friday 29th July 1859

Left after breakfast and had some difficulty in finding my way from the Station to the roads, however by good luck I went right the first 7 miles brought me to the "Falbragan" Inn, which I should have come to last night instead of going to Bowmans. Falbrayor Plain extends nearly 9 miles from the Inn, was very heavy pulling for the horses, and from this to Coolal 12 miles, was not much better. Drove 28 miles today. I batted(?) my horses at Tahhagor, and purchased a bag of hay, which I put in the gig, fortunate that I did so, for on arriving at Coolah, they had nothing but corn. The Inn kept by McCubbin, formerly the Forbe's blacksmith at Muswell Brook. The Inn itself a wretched wayside house, or hovel rather.


Saturday 30th July 1859

Started at 10 o'clock. The first 6 miles very rough driving, over a steep range of black soil interrupted with stones. 12 miles further on came to "OKey (Oley?) Creek" where I lunched and turned the horses out for here again was no hay. I intended going by "Breeza", but the Innkeeper directed me another way, and recommended me to go this evening to "Bummnah" 12 miles further on which I did in an hour and a quarter. No hay again for the horses. I took 4 feeds of corn on from the Inn. Put the horses in the Stocky end all night,  and gave them this and other, the manager, Mr Lakin, very civil, formerly Steward at Tarbai Creek (Madras? Madhan?).

Drove 30 miles today.


Sunday 31st July 1859

Drove only 18 miles from "Bummorah" is White's "Bammoree" the first 8 miles to a cattle station, very bad road, and (again particular p-- ) there are three different roads branching off which unless pointed out to a stranger, he would probably go astray. Very indistinct was the one I took, which was the wrong one, and after going a mile and a half had to return. Quantities of Saltbush and Myall within 5 to 6 miles of Whites, the country presenting very much the appearance of the Salt bush Stations which I took up on the Merool Creek back of the Murumbidgee.


Monday 1st August 1859

Drove from Whites Bummoree 22 miles to Summers, and 16 on to "Gunnedah" a heavy days drive. Found no hay at this Inn, and was obliged to keep the horses in the stable, all night with only a feed of corn! A Mr Keightley (Keightly?) is Clerk of the Bench here. His father lived near Bangor Rectory, and knew my Uncle and cousins there intimately. Stayed up talking with him till nearly 2 o'clock till the lights burnt out, and had to find our way to bed by the aid of lucifers only!

Drove 38 miles 


Tuesday 2nd August 1859

After breakfast the Inn sitting room got ready to hold a Court, and a Mr Lloyd and a Mr Marshall were the sitting Magistrates. Left at 12 o'clock and drove 12 miles to "Carroll" in the hope of getting hay. None! Met Philip driving the Tandem,  escorting Miss Bell to the Lloyds. Asked me to remained at Carroll the night and he would join me next day there, but there being no hay, I drove 12 miles further on to Pringle's "Summerhill" where I and my horses were most hospitably entertained. Mr Pringle was from home. The last time I saw Mrs Pringle was 18 years ago.

"Quantum mutatis ab illo." 


Wednesday 3rd August 1859

After breakfast Mrs Pringle very kindly lent me a horse to save my driving, and I rode over to "Keepit," Mr Bells Station, 10 miles distant, a very good road to within a miles or so of the house, which lies at the foot of a steep range, and is completely hidden out of sight. Saw Mary Anne, who is looking much better than in Sydney. Saw the baby too and horrified the nurse by not kissing it. Philip and young Bell returned after dinner. Whist in the evening.


Thursday 4th August 1859

Not much sleep last night. Hard bed, cold wind whistling through the slabs, and fleas biting me and crawling over one, eugh! Mary Anne not visible, had breakfast and then started back to  Pringles, with the intention of going onwards to Tamworth, but Pringle had only returned the evening before from Sydney and as he was going in to Tamworth in the morning, I agreed to postpone my departure also, noting both I and for my horses were literally in clover. Having abundance of corn and lucern hay. Played Whist in the evening for Love. Mr Grenfell whom I had seen at Griffin at Illalong 12 years ago is managing for Pringle.


Friday 5th August 1859

A lovely day,  no frost, in fact quite Spring weather, and were it not for a cool wind blowing,  it  would be oppressively warm. The Pringles in their carriage and 3, and I in my tandem started after breakfast at 10 o'clock, the first 7 miles had a beautiful level road, passing this pretty and good growing country, and which brought us to another Station of Mr Pringles, which is situated most picturesquely: waited half an hour and then drove into Tamworth 15 more miles, meeting Mr Flide the C.C.L. just on his  way on a surveying expedition. As he was only 5 miles returned with us. The Pringles drove to Miss Leslies where we had the lunch they brought in their carriage, all dined at Flides at 8 o'clock p.m. and slept at Inn.

22 miles .

Wrote 2 letters to Grace.

Completed 315 miles today from Bathurst.


Saturday 6 August 1859

All day with Flide in the office trying to get information regarding the Runs I have to assess. Did not gain much information. In the evening Dr Moirs (Movies?) and his wife and her sister, Mrs Morris, came to Flide's, introduced to them. Mrs Morris a very pretty young woman indeed. A loveable sort of creature, both herself and her sister have that lovely complexion which is to be seen in Consumptive people, and those to whom the seeds of consumption are alas! Whom the "Fates love, die young."


Sunday 7th August 1859

Went to Church and sat with the Clergyman's wife Mrs William. Drove Mrs Pringle and Mrs Flide there. After Church drove Mrs Flide 5 miles on in company with the Pringles, Mr Flide taking advantage of riding in the carriage as he had to pass the Pringles to  overtake his men. Dined at the Inn. Threatening for rain, sultry and the clouds portending a thunder storm.

(pencil - light) Wrote to  Grace - Aunt Sophy 


Monday 8th August 1859

Dined at Dr Morris'. Mrs Flide there. Threatening for rain, with occasional burst of sunshine, beautiful moonlight night.

Went to the Crown Land Office after breakfast, Flide having promised to leave the key of it, in order that I might have access when I wished. To my surprise Mrs Flide told me that servant had mislaid the key or rather that she had put it  in one of Mrs Flide's coat pockets unknown to him and that he had gone away with it  unknowingly. So I cannot do any thing till is actuary, which wont be for a fortnight.


Tuesday 9th August 1859

Wrote to Grace, and official letter to Barney. A lovely day. Wrote to old Joe Went. Drank tea with Mrs Smith, the solicitors wife, a pretty, clever young girl, a handsome likeness of Miss Therry, with manner and voice like Miss Rovost (Robert?),(none of her Americanisms, not all her  excellencies). Has been married only 6 months. Recollect seeing her at the R.C. Bazaar in Sydney. The gentleman she was to a calling (cling?) with, at the time asked me to  contribute to some raffles, to which I replied certainly not, I never subscribed  to Gentleman, and which she, turned round and said "perhaps you will allow me to ask you." Which of course settled the question as I did subscribe: who can refuse a pretty girl anything!


Wednesday 10th August 1859

Called on Mrs Smith and had a tête a tête with her and her sister in the afternoon. Drank tea at Mr Morris's and afterwards went with them to Circus to see "Pablo Fanque" on the tight rope etc. Walked home with Mr Morris whilst the Doctor walked home with Mrs Flide. Refreshed with a cup of  coffee, and a roaring fire, which the thoughtfulness of Mrs  Morris's servant had provided.


Thursday 11th August 1859

Called on Mrs Flide, afterwards packed the dogcart and left Tamworth. In passing called on Mrs Morris and afterwards on Mrs Smith. Left the Township at 1 o'clock and drove 30 miles to Veness' (Venefs's?) Inn on the Manilla River. A beautiful level road the whole way, a miserable dirty Inn however, miserable fare and accommodation. Lent "Agatha's Husband" by Mrs Smith, a novel much recommended by her.


Friday 12th August 1859

Left Venefs's Inn at ½ past 9. Crossed the "Manilla" river near the Inn which was running strong and deep. Drove - miles to "Barraba" where I bailed my horses, and waited for the Post from Tamworth, till 5 o'clock. Rather -te to drive 12miels on a road I did not know. I was benighted long before I got to "Tareela," fortunately there was a moon. Found Philip at home. Drove 42 miles today. Barraba Inn very comfortable and well kept by a Mrs McKidd.


Saturday 13th August 1859

Very sultry all day. In the afternoon a heavy thunder storm, accompanied with hail which lay several inches deep around the house, rain then continued without intermission. This is the first rainy or wet day I have had since I left Bathurst. Fortunately I  am housed, and not driving today. Wrote to Grace, to Fanny, and old Watt of (totem?).


Sunday 14th August 1859

It poured all night. The creek in consequence has risen. Philip started at 8 o'clock in - for the purpose of riding across country to the Bells of "Lepit," for today was fixed upon by the Clergyman of Tamworth (Mr Williams) to christen Mary Anne's baby. I fear the country will be so boggy, it the creeks and rivers are not impassable, that Phil will have difficultly in getting there. I sent my letters to Bathurst by him to get posted in "Tamworth."

Wrote another letter to Grace, one to Aunt, to Sophy. 


Monday 15th August 1859

Sent my letters to Grace and Aunt Sophy by Philips man, to "Baraba," from whence the Mail leaves for Tamworth this evening.

Tommy went to help gather fat cattle on the Run. In the afternoon when he went to the Paddocks, to get up the horses "Captain" and "Tom," they were no where to be found: they had got out: one of Philip's men then told Tommy he had seen them an hour ago at the back of the hut: it was only about half an hour of sunset, and I sent Tommy on foot, and went myself, in search, the Housekeeper went on horseback. He thinks by not mentioning their being out of the paddock sooner, must have hoped that he would get a reward for finding them: he did not; but the man who is building for Philip an Irishman(?) found them 2 miles away on the Creek.


Tuesday 16th August 1859

Getting an old hut put in repair to keep the horses in at night. Read the novel "Agatha's Husband, by the author of John Halifan(?) gentleman. Somewhat interesting towards the end, particularly the doubt hanging over the fate of those in the tiny steamer.


Wednesday 17th August 1859

Writing letters to the different Squatters, whose Runs I have to visit and assess. Reading the first few chapters of Bulwin's "What Will He Do With," in Blackwoods England(?) Review.

Also review of Sydney Smith in Frazer's Magazine.


Thursday 18th August 1859

Threatening for rain all day, with occasional burst of sunshine. Finished copying in letter book the different letters I had written to the occupiers of Crown Lands, whose Runs I have, as Commissioner, to approve and assess.

At 8 o'clock in the evening commenced to rain.


Friday 19th August 1859(pencil - illegible)


Saturday 20th August 1859(pencil - illegible) 

Philip returned to Barr-

Wrote to Grace.

--- effect of cold wind whistling through the slabs at night as I am in bed.


Sunday 21st August 1859  (pencil - illegible)

Threatening for rain all day. Mr Watt arrived in the evening. --- hay to the Porlonne - another of Optria Station.


Monday 22nd August 1859

Philip rode from Barraba, and persuaded Mr Watts to stay the day. Philip off again in the evening to the Inn where Mary Anne is.


Tuesday 23rd August 1859

Left "Tareela" and 10 o'clock, Mr Watts left  also, met Mary Anne and Philip half a mile from Barraba, had lunch, and then drove 30 miles. 9 o'clock to Manilla River.


Wednesday 24th August 1859

Reached Tamworth by ½ past 3, from Manilla. I should have been earlier, but broke my splinter bar. Received Grace letters, No.4 August 10th, and No.5 August 13th. Also Fanny's 3 letters, No.3, 4, and 5 continuing.


Thursday 25th August 1859(pencil - illegible)

Called on Mrs Smith, found her with her sister, Miss Harris and Mr (G Pide?) then took my things over on the (Drs Cmp) to - having been invited to stay at Mis --


Friday 26th August 1859(pencil - illegible)

- - breakfasted at ¼ o'clock. Received 2 letters from Aunt Sophy, 1 letter from Grace NO. 6, 1 letter from Fanny No.6, Wrote to Grace, Aunt Sophy and Official letter to Acting Surveyor General.


Saturday 27th August 1859

Bill farm of David Forbes, 3 months after date, £20, Bank of Australasia. 


Sunday 28th August 1859

Wrote to Grace in reply to her letter No.7

Dined with Roberts, the Manger of the Bank of (NSW, Australasia?).


Monday 29th August 1859

Dined at Smiths the Solicitor. Pringle was there too. Engaged all day in the office looking over papers and books having reference to the Crown Lands.


Tuesday 30th August 1859

Received Grace's letter 24th August No.8. Fanny's by letter No.7.

Sat on the Bench with Dr Morris and Captain Douglas. A Constable brought up for disobedience of order and neglecting to shave his whiskers and moustache to a cut on (smartness?)! Old(?) Morris had by the Bench.

Made the acquaintance of Captain Douglas a relative of C.V. Manning. 


Wednesday 31st August 1859

Had a dance at the Flide's. Drove Mrs Smith and her sister, also Williams and his sister in law Miss Graham. Mr Morris his wife and sister Miss (Strange?) there - Kept up the dancing till 2. Drove the Morris's and Smiths home and afterwards in the Dog Cart. Did not get back till ½ past 3 o'clock in the morning.


Thursday 1st September 1859

Very - fine till night.


Friday 2nd September 1859 (pencil, not very legible.)

Received Grace's letter No.9 Fanny's letter No.8.and Aunt Sophy's and others. 

All day in the office writing official letters. Went in the evening to the Morris's, had a few dances, stayed till ½ past 1 p.m. Whilst walking back with the Flides saw the beautiful Aurora Australis: the - illuminated by it, -- is like a beautiful dress - view.

File 993.


Saturday 3rd September 1859

Wrote to Grace. Had interview with Smith, Pringle, Solicitor as to evidence (carried, written, supplied?) by them to be given by me about Ratant(?). Left Tamworth after dinner and drove to the Kings, Goonoo Goonoo(?) 15 miles a heavy shower of rain came on just before I got there. I found the house full of people, Captain  and Mrs Scott, Davidson, and his friend, Bettington. Obliged to go to the Inn about a miles distant which put up my horses. Drank tea with the Kings. Introduced for the first time to Mrs Scott.


Sunday 4th September 1859

Left the Inn after breakfast and arrived at Kings by before the Service had commenced. Williams having ridden in the morning from Tamworth.

Captain Scott and his wife and brother left after lunch for Tamworth.

They had met with an accident coming here, their Dog Cart went over a bit of precipice, and they were using a sort of Mail conveyance, of - build, a sort of spider with 4 horses, which Scott had tried to take himself and wife up Annindale. He was rigged out in his new uniform, abundance of Silver (silk?).

Wrote to Russell. 


Monday 5th September 1859

Drove after breakfast along the Sydney Road, about 11 miles to Mail Station in order to change horses. Took Captain out of harness and rode 4 miles to Swaines Ranger's Valley to make arrangement for assessing his Run on Thursday the 8th.

Met Bennet of the Railway (yard during?).


Tuesday 6th September 1859

Wrote to Grace from Goonoo Goonoo. Received Graces's letter No.10, 29th August.


Wednesday 7th September 1859

Wrote to Fanny and Aunt Sophy. After dinner left Goonoo Goonoo and drove to Ranger's Valley, but just after leaving the Mail Station, obliged to go a long way to round for the purpose of avoiding the hills and gullies. Swaine had sent a man to meet me to show me the way. Drove 18 miles.


Thursday 8th September 1859(light pencil - nearly illegible)

Run the North boundary of Swaines Run along a Peel River Crossing makes nice line. In the corner (I then joined?) him over the most inaccessible country possible, had to dismount both in ascending and descending the hills several times. Rode about 12 miles, retuned to dinner, and found Mr Biggins of Wallabadah to whom I had written to be present before defining Swaine's boundaries, he however, does not know his own run(?) that he got a copy of them, so that until I got to Tamworth, I must postpone completely Swaine's valuation of Run.


Friday 9th September 1859

A very fine day. We were in our saddles by 9 o'clock, the two young Swaines and their Valuer, Chambers, the Inn Keeper of Wallabah: Rode first to the Peel River and ran 4 miles from the Company's corner pin, along their line, thence ran South over the most precipitous country I ever was in, one - a mountain and hills, we had to dismount in (donkey?) up the ascents, and again whiles descending. Did not reach Swaines till sunset, having been in the saddle till then. The horse I was riding one of Swaines(?) about a mile and a half  ran away with me,  for ½ a mile I lost all control of the animal in consequence the bridle getting twisted and crossed, (breaking ?) it with his head, after leading him up and down hill, I surprised myself, in avoiding the trees as he galloped past.

Rode about 20 miles 


Saturday 10th September 1859(light pencil, mostly illegible)

A lovely day, but threatening for rain. - to the heat(?) Wrote to Mr Higgins to - on Monday to meet Swaine at the office. After lunch I (landed?) and drove to the Veness's again arriving a little before - where I found letters waiting for me. 1 from Fanny, No.9. 1 from Fanny, No.10 with notes included from Grace --. 1 from (Robert?) 1 from Kate.


Sunday 11th September 1859

A rainy morning, but cleared. Wrote to Grace. Took a walk after dinner with King to where he is thinking of washing his sheep, if he gets rain, he has excavated two holes, about 4 feet deep and 12 feet long, and intends washing with the spirit.


Monday 12th September 1859

Received letters from Fanny No.11, from Grace, no date. Bennett arrived, the Civil Engineer. I left (Goonoo?) about 8 o'clock, it threatened for rain but I was fortunate to  escape, called at Smith's: and afterwards at Flides. Slept at the Inn, meeting there Captain Douglas (Deane?), and dined(?).


Tuesday 13th September 1859

Received letter from Grace No.11. from Fanny, No.12.

Sat on the Bench with Captain Douglas and Edmond. Called in the Morris's, had a dance at the Flides.


Wednesday 14th September 1859

Rather tired from last night. Dr Morris and his wife went to Sydney. C.


Thursday 15th September 1859

Very cold wind blowing: did not go out all day, writing in the office. 


Friday 16th September 1859

Received Fanny's letter No.13. 

Grace's letter No.12

Wrote to Grace. Sat on the Bench, by myself.


Saturday 17th Sept 1859

Mr Clarke left with Miss Brandon who is going as Governess to the Perry's of (Brideinder?)


Sunday 18th September 1859

Wrote to Grace enclosing copies of official letter.

Received letter from Grace No.13. Went to Church. Drove Mrs Flide there, and called for Miss Harris. Called on Mrs Smith and gave her the song "The Wanderer in Dreams," a posse of young men there. Received a letter from Aunt Sophy.


Monday 19th September 1859(light pencil, illegible)

Called on Miss Harris, a cold day, cold at night, wind blowing strong. Keightley from Gunnedah arrived at 8 am. Went to the Commissioners (court?) to release a man caught --- on a charge of  --- on a charge if he was able to take care of himself.


Tuesday 20th September 1859(light pencil, illegible)

--   ---   --

--Graces, also music sent -- Chambers bookseller, Sydney

Received Fanny's letter No.14. 

Left Tamworth at 3 o'clock p.m. and drove to Pringle's Summer Hill by 10 minutes to 6. Flide was to leave for Sydney this evening. Wrote to Wise inclosing Bill of 20th September for 25 at 3 months (fam?) of E.W.

Drove 22. 


Wednesday 21st September 1859

Left Pringles after breakfast. Passed through "Gunnedah" on the Woolshed. Very sultry. Suffering from a bad headache all day. The weather feeling thundery and threatening for rain. Arrived at Lloyds, Burburgate about sunset. All  busy shearing. The family consisting of Mr and Mrs Lloyd, Charles Lloyd, and

Mr Bates their partner. Their superintendent a Mr Marshall was also there.

Miles 29


Thursday 22nd September 1859

At Lloyds. Raining all day, talking business part of the time. In the evening had music, the young Lloyd plays and sings very well, so does Mrs Bates.

They seem to have a very nice garden at Burburgate, they tell me they have 31 shearers, all shearing on the same floor, and that they wash 2,800 sheep a day.


Friday 23rd September 1859(light pencil, illegible)

Cloudy and sultry and threatening for rain all day. Left for - at 11 o'clock -- -- 

Of the Reverend A.C. Thomson who came out with me in the "Mary Anne" in 1840, died today at Norwood in England, aged 59.

Rode 29 miles


Saturday 24th September 1859(light pencil, illegible)

-- -- No.15, Sept 17

Grace's No.14. Sept 18

Left  Pringle's after breakfast. Lunched with Pringle at "Bubblegullian" and came on to Tamworth. Rain all cleared away. Called at Mr Flides, afterwards at the Morris's. Not yet returned from Sydney, saw Miss Harris. After tea called on Mrs Smith, and found them all at dinner, with Keightley, Bolton, Dewhurst, Grenfell. Singing and (lees?) and the order of the evening. Left at 12 o'clock p.m., very cold night.


Sunday 25th September 1859

Awoke all night by the arrival and departure of passengers and mail to and from Sydney. Received Fanny letter No.16. Sept 20, Grace's letter No.15.

Wrote to Grace. Very sultry, threatening for  a thunder storm. No Church in Tamworth today, Williams absent somewhere.


Monday 26th September 1859

Looking like rain. Left Tamworth after breakfast and after driving about 10 miles the rain commenced and lasted the whole way into Manilla. Stayed at the Inn. Bad hay for the horses. The road was so slippery I was obliged to take my leader off, and make Tommy ride him. After I had arrived a person by name of Newton came, had dinner in the same room with me. He is, I understand, Superintendent for a Mrs Hughes at Barraba.

30 miles.


Tuesday 27th September 1859

Left Manilla at ½ past 7. The first 8 miles very heavy and slippery, put the leader on afterwards. Met Loughnan, the C.C.L. for the Gwydr about 15 miles from Manilla, driving a knocked up and fibbing (horse, chase, lase?) in an American 4 wheeled wagon, stayed talking half and hour with him, comparing his experience of the office with that of mine. He is now going to Sydney to see if the Government will not place him on a Salary, and also to point out the difficulties and delay that arise in assessing Runs. He has lost his horse at Wariatua (Wanatia?) and tells me he has only assessed 2 runs during the last 8 months, he has spent upwards of £100. Arrived at Tareela. Mary Anne not very well, suffering from bad (breath, heart?) completed 74 ½ miles toady since I left Bathurst.

42 miles.


Wednesday 28th September 1859At Tareela (near Barraba along the Trevallyn Rd)

Rather headachy. The day sultry. Took a ride after dinner with Philip through his large horse paddock, and on the Run. Very pretty, view of the Manilla River forming the shape of a horse shoe and the banks lined with very prettily shaped trees.


Thursday 29th September 1859

Beautiful day. Writing a long letter from Sydney Morning Herald. Today Merewether's appointment. Did not ride out today.


Friday 30th September 1859

Lovely day, very warm. Philip proposed a ride over the Run, and had a fresh horse saddled for me. The brute however, took fright at a young horse the stockman was riding, and which had commenced buck jumping, and he then followed the example, which made me jump off pretty quickly, in doing which I gave my foot and ankle a very severe sprain. Notwithstanding, Philip got me his little roan horse and we started on our ride, and were out the whole day, till 6 o'clock. One view we saw was very fine, seeing 60 miles distant. My ankle so painful and swelled so much I was obliged to cut my boot before getting it off.


Saturday 1st October 1859

Lovely day. Philip went out riding in search of some horses, he is going to lend me. My foot and ankle much better, but not able to put on my boots.


Sunday 2nd October 1859

Very warm in the day. Cold at night. My ankle (spelt ancle) more painful from the sprain I gave it. 

Disturbed all night by the nurse making preparations for the confinement of the woman servant here, Mrs Malcolm. As there was only a slab partition dividing my room, unnecessarily heard much I would rather not have heard, and after all there was a miscalculation as to time,  for the event did not take place that night.


Monday 3rd October 1859

Wrote to Grace, Aunt Sophy, Kate, Editor of Sydney Morning Herald. Sent by Tommy to Barraba Post Office.

The house servant here, Mrs Malcolm confined last night. The builder commenced putting up the rafters and roof of Philips new house.


Tuesday 4th October 1859

Very warm and sultry.


Wednesday 5th October 1859

Philip rode into "Barraba." Hot and sultry. I rather headachy today, attributable to eating so much salt beef and drinking so much tea, at all one's meals.


Thursday 6th October 1859

Very sultry all day. Being round the moon portending rain. Headachy again today.


Friday 7th October 1859

Thundering a good deal, and much rain fell today, with occasional storms of hail. Lethbridge, a near neighbour of  Philip's arrived and stayed the night. Son of Captain Lethbridge, cousin of Tingcombe's.

Cleaning the arms of axle the of Dog Cart and (visiting?) Run. Disturbed all last night by crying of Mrs Malcolm's baby.


Saturday 8th October 1859

Disturbed all night by the crying of Mrs Malcolm's baby in the adjoining room. Sent Tommy to the Post for Philips letters. Lethbridge left.


Sunday 9th October 1859

Much disturbed last night, pain in one's back, and bones.

Wrote to Grace.

Prayers read by Philip.


Monday 10th October 1859

(See Sydney Morning Herald from the 'dali'?)

Wrote to Aunt Mary Anne. Sent letter to Barraba by Tommy.


Tuesday 11th October 1859

Very warm in the morning. Cold in the evening. Heavy dew falling, symptoms of rain. Philip ploughing for corn. Rather late I think, broke beam of plough, as a standstill therefore.


Wednesday 12th October 1859

Strong Westerly wind blowing - rain. Philip ploughing for corn. Broke plough. Man engaged by him with team at 12/- per day.


Thursday 13th October 1859

Warm day, cold nights, frost so severe, all the french beans cut off and pototoes.


Friday 14th October 1859


Received tonight.

Grace's letters, No.16 Sept 22nd, No.17 Sept 26th, No.17 Oct 1st. No.18 Oct 2nd, No.19 Oct 3rd, No.20 Oct 9th. Fanny's letters No.17 Sept 22nd, No.18 Sept 25th, No.19 Sept 27th, No.20 Sept 29th, No.21 Oct 2nd, No.22 Oct 4th, No.23 Oct 6th, No.24 Oct 9th.


Saturday 15th October 1859

Reading letters all day, and burning them after. Philip took M.A. for short drive. The builder finished putting up verandah posts and wall slats.


Sunday 16th October 1859

Change in the weather, cold wind blowing, and cloudy. Fanny's birthday.


Monday 17th October 1859


Tuesday 18th October 1859


Wednesday 19th October 1859

Left Tareela after breakfast. Just before starting Hunter Watt arrived. Lunched at Barraba, and met young Bell from "Okey Creek." Put up for the night at a cattle station of Lloyd's on the Manilla: about 34 miles, rough accommodation, and meat uneatable.

Philip lent me 3 horses, the roan for myself, and a chesnut (screw?) for the pack and a stray horse for Tommy.

34 miles.


Thursday 20th October 1859

Arrived at Tamworth, late. Received Grace's letter No.21, No.22 16th Oct.

Fanny's No.25 11 Oct, No.26 16th Oct.

The Roan, and roan horse, both knocked up before reaching Dr Morris, 3 miles from Tamworth. Just as I arrived Dr Morris came in sight, he let me leave the two knocked up horses in his paddock, and lent me a fresh one to ride in with him. Went in the evening to the Morris's.


Wednesday 21st October 1859

Went in the evening to Flide's.


Thursday 22nd October 1859

Went in the evening to the Morris's.


Friday 23rd October 1859


Saturday 24th October 1859

Received Grace's No.23 6th Oct, Fanny's No.27 6th Oct. Went to Church in the morning, overtook Mrs Flide and Miss Harris and sat in their pew. Called on Mrs  Smith after dinner. A Mr Wallace, a German wool buyer at the town, with whom I dined.


Sunday 25th October 1859

Sat in the Bench with Dr Morris, assault case - dismissed.


Monday 26th October 1859

Received Grace's letter,  Thursday 26th Oct 1859, not numbered. Philip arrived in Tamworth to consult lawyer as to trespass by Allen in Tareela Run. Drank tea at the Morris's with him.


Tuesday 27th October 1859

"Royal Charter" lost on the coast of Anglesea, 459 person drowned.

Insurance becomes one.

Philip left after dinner, at ½ past 3 for Manilla. Burdekin, the young Barrister dined with us, his mother has a Station at Peel.

Drank tea at the Morris's with Flide, with whom I drove to the McDonalds trying the new  Dog Cart he has purchased from a Mr Firth for 60 guineas.


Thursday 28th October 1859(very small writing)

Left Tamworth after ½ past 12 and took a through the Run the "Piallaway Gap." Kept much to never (?) "Dun Thoml--," and after following down blind creeks, which I thought could ultimately lead to the main one came in a flat,  where creek disappeared, then followed two dry track which brought me to a wall, leading T. B (Tommy?) altered our course and went back  North West. The roan now perfectly knocked up, and stuffed the pack on to him, Tommy riding the pack horse. No good however, our brute would not go out of a walk and it was evening, with rain,  -- became very hardy(?) arrived at West's about 7 o'clock p.m. been put on the road by a shepherd. (?)

25 miles.


Friday 28th October 1859 - Piallaway 

A little rain last night. Could not sleep owing to the fleas, the dogs, the cats, the swallows, all inside the house, and 4 or 4 pet sheep outside grunting and pawing the ground all night long. No water either in the creek, water well, and had to send Tommy with the horses ½ a mile to water them. This Station belongs to Dight: left after breakfast and came in ½ a mile to the other Piallaway Station belonging to Christian Humphrey, which I am about to assess. Pouring rain all night, thunder and lightning.


Saturday 29th October 1859(light pencil, illegible)

Raining in the early part of the morning. Had a violent storm and  -- -- where Humphrey and his Valuer Furrier came over and I agreed with the former to ride to Wallalla, and assess Rullwwaly(?) -- -- . Rode as far as Breeza nine miles, did not arrive there till after 7 o'clock. Slept at the Inn.


30th October 1859(light pencil, illegible)

After breakfast left Breeza in company with Humphrey. Found the Plains, -- heavy from up - Arrived at Wallalla about ½ past 1, having ridden 12 miles from Breeza. The horse I was riding perfectly knocked up, although we never broke out of a walk. The day very oppressive. Found Mr Wallace the (farmer?) was no longer there.


31st October 1859

After breakfast rode round the Wallalla (Walhallow?) Run with young Newland, went 8 miles East to junction of (Luce?) Run and Dry Creek, 2 ½ miles North to Breeza Road, then along road a short distance, then West to junction of the Dry Creek for the (Mothy?) Run, the --. The warmest day I have - for a day


Tuesday 1st November 1859

Writing Despatch to the Government. 


Wednesday 2nd November 1859

At Wallalla 

Pouring rain the whole day.


Thursday 3rd November 1859

Left Wallalla, called at Clift's at Breeza to inform him I intended assessing Piallaway, and requested him to say if his Run joined it. He said no. Rode with Humphreys to Piallaway.

21 (miles?)


Friday 4th November 1859

Riding round boundaries with Harris?, Dight and Humphreys. This Run covered with Pine scrubs badly watered besides.


Saturday 5th November 1859

Marking the trees between Dight and Humphreys Piallaway Run.


Sunday 6th November 1859

Left Piallaway, took the (Stredmore, Stockman?) road as far as Dun Gap, and found a traveler camped there who rode with me to Tamworth. Captain Scott arrived shortly after I did. Received the following letters.

From Grace, No.24 Oct 23, no date Oct 27th, No.25 Oct 30th with inclusion B.W. No.26 Nov 1. From Fanny No.28 Oct 23, No.29 Oct 27, No.30 Oct 30.

25 (miles?)


Monday 7th November 1859

Went to Flides to dinner. 

3 2

D 10

B 2


Tuesday 8th November 1859

Received Grace No.27 3rd Nov with Wises inclusion. Fanny's No.31 with Aunt Sophy.


Wednesday 9th November 1859

Weaver left Tamworth. Drank tea at Morris's. Danced. Interview with Cliff and Humphrey today boundaries of Run.


Thursday 10th November 1859

Picnic, fishing excursion. After lunch called at Cooks.(Uncle to Dangar) had a dance there. Old Robert, made a fool of himself by offering to carry the Ladies across the Peel, only taking his shoes and stockings off and making a dreadful expose of his legs etc etc. We all  adjourned to the Morris' in the evening. The drive home by moonlight very pleasant. Flide met us as we returned, having been unable to find which road we had taken in the morning.


Friday 11th November 1859

Received Fanny's letter No.32 6th Nov. Heard from Russell. 




Sunday 13th November 1859  (light pencil, illegible)

Received Grace's letter - Nov 8.

Went to Church. The consecration of which took place by the Bishop of Newcastle D Tyrell, who preached morning and evening "St. Pauls" the name. A collection in aid of the funds. Dined with Robert, went to Church again, in the afternoon, Drank tea at Morris'. Burdet from Ky-in Church, walked up to Dr Morris' with him.


Monday 14th November 1859

Slept at the Flides. Drank tea at Morris's had a dance and kept it up till late. 


Tuesday 15th November 1859

Received Fanny's letters, No.33 Nov 10th with a few lines from - included. At Police  office with Dr Morris.


Wednesday 16th November 1859

Morris left for -ington. Called on Mrs Smith.


Thursday 17th November 1859

Called on Mr---


Friday 18th November 1859

Received Grace's letter No.29 13th Nov

Fanny's No.34 13th Nov.

At Police Office. Wrote to Grace (9/7 stamp)

Dr and Mrs Morris returned in afternoon. Passed the evening with Roberts, also Flide. Stayed till 2 o'clock p.m.


Saturday 19th November 1859


Sunday 20th November 1859

Received Grace's letter of no number but dated 15th November inclosing copy of her to David.  Went to Church in the morning. Dined at Dr Morris.


Monday 21st November 1859

Held an Inquiry over the body of Constable Adams. 

Dr and Mrs Morris drank tea at Flides.


Tuesday 22nd November 1859

Received Grace's letter No.30, Fanny's No.35. Sat on the Bench with Dr Morris. 


Wednesday 23rd


Thursday 24th November 1859

Probable day if - to Sydney and F. or C. from Bathurst. Held an Inquiry over Mr Jamison at Piallomor 12 miles from Tamworth. Dr Morris rode out with me. Went to the Morris's in the evening.


Friday 25th November 1859

Received Grace's letter No.1 20th Nov with David's inclosed. Fanny's No.36.


Saturday 26th. 


Sunday 27th November 1859

Received Fanny's No. 37 with -- . None from Grace.  Went to Church in the morning, dined at the Morris's with Mrs Flide.


Monday 28th November 1859


Tuesday 29th November 1859

Wet day. Received Fanny's No.38 24th Nov. Graces No.32.


Wednesday 30th November 1859

Left Tamworth with Flide. Slept at Pringle's "Summer Hill." Dinner to  Keightley in Tamworth took place.

22 miles.


Thursday 1st December 1859(light pencil  - almost illegible)

Slept at Jumi-Inn. - died - half an hour before - not returned from --

24 miles


Friday 2nd December 1859(light pencil  - almost illegible)

Milly's birthday, 11 years old today. Left Gunnedah --  -- slept at the P-Johnson - - the Clerk of the Bench --


Saturday 3rd December 1859

Tommy could not find the horses cart. Johnson son however went out after breakfast for a - -- 

A magnificent lagoon nearly 2 miles long is here. The (Ponskeeper?) here (Panton) formerly an officer in the West India Regiment.

Returned back to Gunnedah. Dined at -gate with Mr Lloyd at home. Thermometer 117° in the sun. Dwyer, Chief Constable from Tamworth here. Shortly after a messenger came to inform him that his daughter had been thrown from her horse and killed.

Mr Pat Quinn of the Namoi(?) arrived after I did, went in my room by mistake. Gave it up to his daughter.

Thermometer 117° in the sun at Lloyd. 

16 miles


Sunday 4th December 1895

Very warm, warmer than yesterday, a hot wind blowing.

Had no sleep last night at the Inn. What with bugs! And people in the house making a noise till 3 o'clock in the morning. The Quinns started about 5 o'clock.

Flide took two of his horses in the morning from the camp.

Issued a Search Warrant  to search the farm I  am staying at. A young man having been killed by his brother and - 8 in money.

Keightley the late C.P.s. left Gunnedah. Very hot and oppressive, warm wind blowing. 

Made the acquaintance of Mr Forster, the new C.P.S. at Gunnedah. 


Monday 5th December 1859(light pencil  - almost illegible)

Very warm. Flide found his horses. Left Gunnedah in the afternoon, and went to --, Lloyd had not arrived, but ma-- -- Ewards of - passed through

8 miles.


Tuesday 6th December 1859(light pencil  - almost illegible)

Left the Lloyds after breakfast, after going a mile waited an hour at the crossing for (Flidge?) and his --. It came up form Gunnedah (today?) (preceded, presented?) - there till they camped and had lunch and passed Gullijall 8 miles and on to Thomson's 4 miles further, where I got accommodation for the night. Flide to his (Tents?).


Wednesday 7th December 1859(back to pen)

Left Thomson's "Millangowrie" after breakfast, called at Flide's Tent on my way. Called at "Boggibrie" 3 miles from Thomson's to inquire if the owner was there, saw Loder who told me he had not come up. Passed the "Rock Inn" kept by Glover, about 6 miles for "Boggibrie," to Ether's where I lunched (and left a letter for Williams) 4 miles. To old 'Baan Baa" 4 miles further and on to new "Baan Baa," 3 miles, where I slept for the night. Overtaken by a heavy thunder storm at old "Baan Baa." Took shelter in a deserted Gunya for 2 hours, till the storm has subsided. At "Baan Baa" the Superintendent's name is Hunt, there is another young man there by name of Kindon. "Baan Baa" appears a beautiful salt bush Run. I am told one side only is good.

20 miles


Thursday 8th December 1859

Breakfasted at 6 o'clock a.m. No meat. "Baan Baa" is a wretched dirty place, a disgrace to Lloyd's establishment. Left at 8 o'clock and rode 8 miles to Mr Milnes at Broadwater, stayed several (back  to light pencil) hours on account of the horses being - had lunch and left ½ past 2, overtook one of the (Flides, Lloyds?) and rode on to Quinn's "Glen Quinn" within about 12 miles. Found Quinn had left for WaiWai this morning. Wrote to Grace under cover to Aunt Sophy.

Very warm and oppressive.

20 miles.


Friday 9th December 1859

Warmest day this Summer.

(Bath) Thermometer 142° in the sun at 1 o'clock.

(Flavelle's) Thermometer 132° in the sun at 1 o'clock.

Hot wind blowing.

At Glen Quinn.


Saturday 10th December 1859

Another hot day, with hot wind. T.G. Dangar passed this today. (Bath) Thermometer in the sun at 12 o'clock 132°. Hot wind blowing. (Flavelles) Thermometer at 1 o'clock 125°

At Glen Quinn

Quinn returned here. 


Sunday 11th December 1859

Very warm again today. Thermometer 120 in sun. Long conversation with Quinn's storekeeper and (Jeholaded?) McGuire, he formerly soldier in the 18th Hussars and attached to the Duke of Wellington's Staff, with him at Vittoria, Toulouse, Waterloo etc.


Monday 12th December 1859

Rode round some of the boundaries of "Glen Quinn" with Quinn and his Valuer Mr Ezzy (Eggy?). Had headache today, much cooler  today than for some time past.

18 miles


Tuesday 13th December 1859(light pencil  - almost illegible)

-- --Thermometer 70°. 


Wednesday 14th December 1859

Marked the boundaries between Quinn's and Mr Milner's, both of them present.

Received letter from Tamworth, the Mail bag which should have come to Gulligan was sent by mistake to Manilla and vice versa.

Carry Sutton married at "Kelso" to - Edye Manning. 

18 miles


Thursday 15th December 1859

Marked the boundary line between Quinn's and Doyle's, in presence of  all parties.. Doyle's cousin and overseer. Wrote to Grace.

14 miles


Friday 16th December 1859

Left with Quinn in his Dog Cart with outrigger before going out of sight, the shaft horse feel and nearly broke the shafts. In going to his head (lead?) his feet struck my shin and bruised it (badly?). Arrived at "Wee Waa" after a very hot sweaty(?) drive about 2 o'clock. Quinn has another Sheep Station at Wee Waa near the Township managed by a Mr Sharpley(?). The A.M. of Wee Waa has taken up his residence here too, and for the present the new Doctor Burrell and his son, a regular house full, one bason amongst 3!


Saturday 17th December 1859

Quinn was to have gone out today with me  and shown the boundaries of his Tolodume run. He feigned pains in his knee and deputed the Manager Sharpley, who did not know the boundaries but depended on a stockfellow who did. We rode to the station where he lives about 4 miles, and as he was not there waited for him 2 hours. When in despair I was obliged to go away and return to "Wee Waa." Shortly after we returned a heavy thunder storm arose and lasted all night.

Quinn I find rode some 40 miles to Dangar's and therefore the pain in his knee must have been made more of than was necessary.

8 miles


Sunday 18th December 1859

In the house all day, reading the newspapers. And then one of the -

T.W.  Smith left for Maitland: accompanied by the Dr Burrell (Bunell?) and Quinn as far as Glen Quinn. Very warm.


Monday 19th December 1859

Rode out at ½ past 8, to Queechy" 4 miles.  Quinn had arrived before me, there from Glen Quinn, took a blackfellow with us who pointed out and marked the line between Togdunnen and G (Gardiner came?) for about 7 miles. Thence by compass 3 miles near to the Jews Lagoon, 5 miles in a Westerly 2 miles, and then same distance back.

Barganoll the Run I had to define at the back of Toldama, a beautiful country, only no water. Returned again same to Wee Waa, and then a very heavy thunder storm came on..

42 miles


Tuesday 20th December 1859

Rode out early with 2 men, to Queerbry to get the blackfellow, 4 miles, thence to Edward's Run of Weele Waa, 8 miles, had lunch there. Followed a marked tree line from there 4 miles, thence by compass 8 miles, then 5 miles and back home again. Fearfully hot and oppressive. Beautiful country that of Weela Waa and the adjoining Run.

44 miles


Wednesday 21st December 1859

Breakfasted at 7, and started with Quinn in the Dog Cart to Toloduma 4 miles thence  to Sheep Station where the well is 9 miles, to Carroll Carroll 3 miles, to Jews Lagoon ½ miles (or over sheep station from which place we rode our horses).

From Jews Lagoon we went in Westerly 7 miles.

50 miles.


Thursday 22nd December 1859

Returned from Wee Waa to Glen Quinn. Received Grace's 33, from Bathurst and No.34 from Sydney. No.1 from Sydney.

Fanny's No.39 from Bathurst, 40 and 41 from Sydney.

Wrote to Government asking for Salary, inclosed copy to Aunt Sophy. Wrote a letter to Grace from Wee Waa. Another from "Glen Quinn."

A little rain fell after we arrived. Emmy Daiton(?) married today to John Peterson of Illalong. 

27 miles.


Friday 23rd December 1859 - at Glen Quinn

Raining off and on.

Wooley ch of Buielong,  Government Surveyor married in Yass to a Miss Sherington. 

7 miles


Saturday 24th December 1859

Raining off and on. Rode over part of "Jibbereenah" Dr Burrell and his son from "Wee Waa" arrived. 

10 miles


Sunday 25th December 1859 - at Glen Quinn(light pencil  - almost illegible)

Christmas Day at Glen Quinn. 

-- a melancholy slow affair. 


Monday 26th December 1859 (light pencil  - almost illegible)

Went over the middle of "Tillmarsh" and the West side of it with Quinn. On our return home called at Humphrey's now, then at Rand--, met Marshall and Doyle made a great show with Quinn.

30 miles


Tuesday 27th December 1859 (light pencil  - almost illegible)

Left Glen Quinn, for Baan Baa. Marshall and Quinn came as far Ballarra Creek, pointing out the sheep station 3 miles and down the Creek. Called on Mr Milner(?) (12 miles from Quinns) and on to Baan Baa. Very hot and sultry. The Quinn horse on first mounting broke 3 or 4 times with me.

18 miles


Wednesday 28th December 1859 - at Boggabrie.(spelt Boggibrie)

Threatening rain in the morning. Several heavy showers. Left  Baan Baa at 10 o'clock, called at Ethers Station 7 miles, saw Mr Williams there - at the - then 4 miles and rode on to "Boggabrie" 4 ½ miles more. Mrs Johnson of (Fulligal?) with her daughter Mrs Loder when I arrived.

Had  a bathe in the river.

Sent word to Lloyd at Burburgate to say I intended assessing the "Boggabrie" Run tomorrow. 

15 miles 


Thursday 29th December 1859

At Boggabrie, had an interview with Vanton and Williams as to the boundaries

After dinner rode 8 miles down the river to the South Western most corner of the Run

16 miles


Friday 30th December 1859

Left "Boggabrie," passed Thomson's, and on to Gulligan 7 miles, lunched there, and afterwards went on to Burburgate 8 miles, to the Lloyds. C. Lloyd not yet returned home. Very warm day, rather headachy. There is a Mr Hercoin(?) stopping with the Lloyds, who came out in the Duncan Dunbar last  month. He has been living in Gloucester. Wrote to Grace.


Saturday 31st December 1859

Stayed today at "Burburgate" in the hope of C. Lloyd returning home.

Marshall of (perdensaia?) arrived in the evening, and afterwards Edwards from Tamworth.


(White Card, black edge, in diary - Mr and Mrs Howard Vincent, 1 Grosvenor Square) 


Sunday 1st January 1860

Very hot and sultry in the morning. Thunder storm about 1 o'clock. Intended to have left, but requested by Lloyd to remain today at Burburgate. The D's from  Gunnedah here,  to Chopin, a Frenchman.

Marshall and Edward left after dinner. 


Monday 2nd January 1860- at Burburgate

Very hot today. Made a start after breakfast and left Burburgate. On arriving at Gunnedah, 7 miles, found that Charles Lloyd had just come, and therefore I rode back again to Burburgate with him, and finally settled assessing the Tibberewah Run at 10,000 sheep.

Suffering from toothache, cured it by application of Alum.

14 miles.


Tuesday 3rd January 1860

Left Burburgate after breakfast, called on Foster in passing through Gunnedah, 7 miles. Lunched at Carroll 10 miles, and delayed there 2 or 3 hours on account of a thunder storm and rain, and ultimately reached Pringle's, "Summerhill" station before sunset.

Found Mrs McDonald, wife of the C.P.S. - staying with Mrs Pringle. 


Wednesday 4th January 1860 - at Tamworth

Left the Pringle's after dinner in consequence of the rain detained me till 2 o'clock. Reached Tamworth before sunset.

Received the following letters

From Grace, No.2 7th Dec, 3 10th Dec, 4 10th Dec, 5 15th Dec, 6 18th Dec, 7 22nd Dec, 8 23rd Dec. From Fanny No.1 Dec 6th, 2 Dec 10th, 3 Dec 13th, 4 Dec 16th, 5 Dec 24th, 6 Dec 26th, one without number 21st December.


Thursday 5th January 1860

Dined with Roberts, drank tea with Morris's. 

Raining a good deal today.


Friday 6th January 1860 - at Tamworth

Received Grace's letter No.9 January 1st. 

Fanny's letter No.7 January 2nd. 

Went to the Morris's after tea. Mr and Mrs Selke (Telke?) (aka a Miss Peny) arrived at the Inn from New England.


Saturday 7th January 1860

Dr Morris dined with me. Drank tea afterwards at Morris's and walked down to the Flides by moonlight.


Sunday 8th January 1860 - at Tamworth

Received Grace's No.10. January 5th with note to her of Fanny's.

Fanny's, January 4th. 

Mrs Morris laid up in bed with headache. Returned to tea at the --. Came on to pour with rain in the evening.

Wrote to  Grace.


Monday 9th January 1860 - at Tamworth

Lunched at Flides. Mrs Morris still ill in bed. Went to Court House. Lost the three horses I have been riding, the roan, chestnut and brown. Tommy saw them at dinner time yesterday, and not since.


Tuesday 10th January 1860

Heard from Grace, No.11 6th January. No letter from Fanny. Wrote to Grace, and Wise enclosing pay voucher. Went to Police Office. King and wife from "Goonoo Goonoo" in Tamworth today. Tommy out all day looking for the horses, without success.

A man bitten by a snake, his mate sucked the wound and imbibed the poison by its being absorbed in the tongue.


Wednesday 11th January 1860 - at Tamworth

Carter and wife, and Foster the Crown Prosecutor arrived from Armidale.


Thursday 12th January 1860

Carter, and Foster left before breakfast.


Friday 13th January 1860 - at Tamworth

No letters from Grace or Fanny. Wrote to Grace and Wise. Dined at Dr Morris's. Sent my reports on Tibberanch(?) and Bagarnoll(?) to the Government.


Saturday 14th January 1860

Bad headache all day. Went to Flides, before tea, warm wind blowing all day. Servant of the Clergyman, Williams(?) attempting to hand himself, black in the face when cut down.  Dr Morris came in time and bled him and so recovered the fellow, and then sent him to the Locker.


Sunday 15th January 1860

Received Fanny's letter No.8 January 11th, No.9 January 12th. No letters from Grace. Wrote to Fanny. Went to Church in the morning, small congregation. Called at Mr Morris's in the afternoon. District Judge Owen and wife arrived from Armidale.


Monday 16th January 1860 - at Tamworth

Went to Police Office.

Owen left the town early in the morning. A nice cool haze blowing, is symptomatic of rain. 

Went for a drive with the Flides, me the Morris's on the way, went up there after tea.


Tuesday 17th January 1860

Went to the Police Office from 10 to 5 o'clock. Captain Douglas and Philip King on the Bench. Received Grace's letter No.12, January 13th, Fanny's letter No.10 January 14th inclosed with Wise. Douglas dined with me. A Mr Firte(?) and  Mr Bartlett also joined us afterwards, and Burdekin who accompanied me to the Morris's after to the Race Meeting, subscribed £1.1 there. Foster the solicitor of Armidale was engaged in Court this afternoon.


Wednesday 18th January 1860 - At Tamworth

Lunched at Flides. Captain Douglas with Roberts left Tamworth for Nindee.


Thursday 19th January 1860

Smith dined with me.


Friday 20th January 1860 - at Tamworth

No letters from Sydney. Bloxome arrived by Mail from New England on his way to Sydney.


Saturday 21st January 1860

Philip arrived from Tarcola with Espy Watt. Took a ride on "Captain," met Dr Morris and his wife driving and Miss Morris, Miss Goodwin and old Roberts riding.

Played billiards with Philip at the Inn.


Sunday 22nd January 1860

Received Grace's No.13 Jane15th, No.14 Jane 17. Fanny's No.11 Monday 16th Jan, No.12 18th Jan. Went to Church in the morning with Philip and Burdekin. Dined together at the Inn afterwards.

Called at the Morris's afterwards, and then on the Flides late in the evening. Very warm today. Warm wind blowing.


Monday 23rd January 1860 - Left Tamworth - Tareela.

The warmest day I have felt this year! Philip and I started at 11 o'clock, from Tamworth taking up the new servant Philip had hired. I wished good bye to Morris on the way. Arrived after a very hot drive at Manilla about 4 o'clock. Nothing fit to eat at this Inn, the bread fermented. Mr Watt and Tommy overtook us just as we came in sight of the town.

30 miles


Tuesday 24th January 1860

Left Manilla about 8 o'clock. When we got near to Hoskisson's came upon the Roan pony which had strayed from me at Tamworth: fastened him to the Leader --, whilst driving down Hoskisson's Creek (1/2 mile from Barraba) the Dog Cart capsized right over, and we were all thrown violently out: one of the shafts broken. Repaired it with straps and got as far a Barraba, where with rope it was made sufficiently strong for us to start again. After lunch I had a dreadful headache. After proceeding 8 miles, the Dog Cart was again capsized a second time!! And we were all violently thrown out and "Captain" thrown down. Mended the shafts again after an hour's delay, and after proceeding ½ a mile the other shaft broke in two, and we had to jump out. Philip rode bare back to Tareela (4 miles) for assistance, leaving us behind. The maid servant has a severe fall from the horse she rode when within sight of Tareela.

Arrived at Tareela at ½ past 9.

42 miles.


Wednesday 25th January - at Tareela

Very tired, and very sore. The first time I was thrown out I hurt my hip. All black and blue. The second time I sprained my wrist and left arm, and cut my knee. My umbrella was broken to pieces in the fall, having had it open at the time, but no doubt helped to stay my fall.

Philip sent today for the broken gig which we left behind last night.

Espy Watt thrown from his horse and a strong stockman.

Had headache today.

Philip settled with Nullen, the builder of his new house, after some little discussion, which I arbitrated between them.


Thursday 26th January 1860

The Anniversary of my wedding day 12 years ago! Had headache. Philip also laid up with headache. A nice cool day, rained in the night a little.


Friday 27th January 1860 - at Tareela.

So cool a morning that Philip ordered a fire at breakfast time.

Had headache again today, and otherwise unwell. My bruises too very painful today. Hunter Watt went to Barraba, for the letters which did not arrive there till 6 p.m. He returned about ½ past 8 bringing me 9 letter from Grace No.15 January 23rd, 1 letter from Fanny No.13 January 21st, 1 letter Wise with dates.


Saturday 28th January 1860

Had headache again, and otherwise ill, lying down nearly all day.


Sunday 29th January 1860 - at Tareela

Prayers in the morning. Philip read prayers, many from the Lessons and Communion service. Headache again.


Monday 30th January 1860 - at Tareela

Wrote to Grace and Fanny, sent letters by Tommy. Mr Watt went to Lethbridges

Lost headache


Tuesday 31st January 1860


Wednesday 1st February 1860


Tuesday 2nd February 1860

Commenced McCaulay's History of England. Thunder and lightning, but only a slight fall of rain in the evening lasting only a quarter of an hour.


Wednesday 3rd February 1860 - at Tareela

Received Fanny's letter No.14 January 25th. 

No letter from Grace.


Saturday 4th February 1860

Philip and the two Watts rode before breakfast to Barraba and thence 2 miles further to Hoskisson's for horses.

Very warm


Sunday 5th February 1860


Monday 6th February 1860

Wrote to Aunt Mary Anne

Grace - Dr Morris

Sent letter by Tommy. Reading Shakespeare's 12th Night


Tuesday 7th February 1860

Heavy thunder storms, after dinner continued off and on till night.


Wednesday 8th February 1860

Heavy rain all day. Attack of diarrhea towards night. Headache and nausea.


Thursday 9th February 1860


Friday 10th February 1860

Mr Watt did not return for Barraba with the letters till after 12 o'clock. After we were in bed owing to the Post man from Tamworth being late.

Received Grace's No.16 February 1st, No.17 Feb 1st, No.18 February 3rd, without date February 6th. From Fanny No.15 January 29th, No.16 February 4th.

1 from Dr Morris. 1 from D Bemell(?), 2 from C.C.C. Lands, 1 from Wise.

Headache all day.


Saturday 11th February 1860

Very heavy thunder storm with hail, and rain of an on the whole day.

Towards evening Spencer the Clergyman who married Susan Dowling, with his son arrived in a storm of rain.


Sunday 12th February 1860 - Tareela

Spencer the Clergyman left after breakfast, accompanied by the 2 Watts for Barraba, where he intended holding service. Raining off and on the whole day.


Monday 13th February 1860

Sent Tommy to the Post with letters, gave him for himself cheque for £2. 

Mr Watt went to Lethbridge on the Gwyder. 


Tuesday 14th February 1860

A fine day.


Wednesday 15th February 1860

Had headache


Thursday 16th February 1860

Frightful head ache, after dinner.


Friday 17th February 1860 - at Tareela

Received Grace's letters No.19 Feb 10th, No.20 Feb 12th. 

Fannys letters No.17 Feb 11th, No.18 Feb 14th. Without number with E.Wise's inclosed Feb 14th. 

Philip went to the Post himself.


Saturday 18th February 1860

Symptoms of headache again today.



(Check pages not photographed??)



Wednesday 22nd February 1860



Thursday 23rd February 1860

Left Tareela after dinner


Friday 24th February 1860 - at Tamworth

Let Barraba, overtook Mr FitzRoy.

30 miles


Saturday 25th February 1860

Left Manilla and arrived in Tamworth about 4 o'clock

Received Grace's No.21 February 17th, No.22 February 20th.

Received Fanny's No.19 Feb 16th, No.20 Feb17, No.21 Feb 21st. No date Feb 16 with Wise's. No date duplicate of above.


Sunday 26th February 1860

Threatening for rain. The Presbyterian Clergyman officiating at Ross's Inn. Called after dinner on Mrs Flide.


Monday 27th February 1860

Drank tea at Mrs Smith's. Sent my horse to Dwyer's (Harke?) purchased 200 of hay from Williams. Very sultry, threatening for rain.

Called on Mrs Morris.

Sat on the Bench in the morning with Dr Morris.


Tuesday 28th February 1860

Wrote to Fanny inclosing letters to Edward Wise. 

Flide returned home from (Nandle?)


Wednesday 29th February 1860 - at Tamworth

Very unwell in the night, intense nausea. 

Had interview with Flide


Thursday 1st March 1860

Pringle came in, received £10 additional to go down to Mailtand for him.

Wrote to Philip. 


Thursday 2nd March 1860 - at Tamworth

Arthur Macathon(?) arrived with a friend of his Mr Clulvet(?),  breakfasted together. 

Received Grace's letters No.23 February 26th Sunday. 

Fanny's No.22 February 28th Tuesday

Also one brought from (home?) by Mcathur.

Called on Flide

100 of Hay from Bailey 10/-.


Saturday 3rd March 1860

Raining a little all day. Had interview with Flide, rather a warm discussion.


Sunday 4th March 1860

Received Fanny's No.23 March 1st. 

Left Tamworth by Mail and went as far as Goonoo Goonoo, the other passengers in Mail were Dumeresque and a Mr Canning. Had to walk part of the road, so heavy from the rain which fell yesterday, and today. Did not reach the Inn till 10 o'clock.


Monday 5th March 1860 - at Scone

Started at 3 o'clock in the morning, breakfasted at Wallabadah passed the Willow Tree, (Waverwol?) and Waldins Ranges. Dined at Murrurundi on Pages River, and went on afterwards to Scone where we slept. Travelled 75 miles today. Dr Scott joined the Mail at the Page and a Reverend K's Barlow at Scone.


Tuesday 6th March 1860 - Maitland 

Left Scone at 3 o'clock a.m. Very dark, and the roads very heavy. 3 horses chestnut leading!! And the driver a wretchedly nervous whip. Thought we should have capsized several times. The wheel too grating the whole way and the arm of the axle (the) red hot. Breakfasted at Muswell Brook, dined at Patricks Plains and reached to Maitland about ½ past 5. Put up at the Northumberland Hotel, which was full. I think the distance we came today was 75 miles.


Wednesday 7th March 1860 - Sydney

Arrived about ½ past 5 in Sydney.


Thursday 8th March 1860

Went into Sydney with Grace. Called at Belisdows(?) Fannys


Friday 9th March 1860

Walked to the Ferny with Bloxome, crossed over to the Circular Quay. 

(light pencil - reflecting in camera flash) - again there at 5 o'clock. ---


Saturday 10th March 1860

Went in to Sydney with Grace, having been asked to stay at Kate's.


Sunday 11th March 1860 - at David Forbes'

Did not go to Church.


Monday 12th March 1860 

Dined at Wise's Enmore, Lady Manning (slept?) with us. Slept there, all the Ex Ministers there, Black, Forster, Samuel Eaffs(?), hay and his wife,  Holt,  West, Sir W Manning, Mrs and the Miss Manings called.


Tuesday 13th March 1860

Pouring rain, left Enmore after breakfast and returned to the Forbes.


Wednesday 14th March 1860 - Sydney, "The Rangers."

Returned to the Rangers. Sea rather rough. Met Russell at the wharf who accompanied us back in the back to the North Shore.


Thursday 15th March 1860

Left the Rangers after breakfast, walked to the Ferry, took a boat and landed at the Circular Quay. Called at the Treasury; lunched with the Forbes', afterwards called on Clark --, and from thence took a boat and (hossed?) over to Billy Blues Point (where my carpet bag was to have been sent by Russell for me (formerly)) and then on to the Steamer Wharf at the (boot?) of Market St. Only 3 berths disengaged. Drank tea at the Forbe's, David returned from Twoford Bay. Waited at the Club till it was time to go to the Steamer which left at 11 o'clock, on board were Martin, Isaacs, Robertson, P.G. King, Gorman, Roxburgh, Demaresque who was quarreling with some (agent, cadet?) on board.


Friday 16th March 1860 - Maitland.

The of Trial Pringle v McHattie arrived at Newcaslte  at ½ past 5, where we remained till the Train started for Maitland at 7 o'clock. Saw Want(?) and spoke to him about Clarks dray(?).

Remained about the Court all day. Robertson told me he had appointed me Assistant Commissioner to the Northern Gold Fields. Put up at the Northumberland Hotel, West Maitland. Shared a bedroom with Boydell of the Patterson. At the Inn were King, Hely, McHattie, Roxburgh, Hein, Ditmar, Wyatt, Peny, A. Macarthur: Demaresque, Greer.


Saturday 17th March 1860

Remained about the Court all day, very unwell, or rather ill. 


Sunday 18th March 1860 - in Maitland

Very unwell all day.


Monday 19th March 1860 - in Maitland

Pringle's case came in for trial after 1 o'clock today. 

Martin and Fawcett for Pringle

Isaacs and Buller for McHattie


Tuesday 20th March 1860

Pringle's case still on. Moss examined today and cross examined by Isaacs.


Wednesday 21st March 1860 - Maitland

Verdict returned today in Pringle's favour. £1200 damages. Jury locked up several hours. 


Thursday 22nd March 1860

Went to a Ball at Mrs Mather's (wife of Smith partner) a queer set of people altogether. Tom Perry went in burrowed plumes, wearing the Inn Keeper's Hats, coat, waistcoat, and boots.


Friday 23rd March 1860 - Maitland.

Received 40 from Smith as expenses incurred on Trial. Pringle v McHattie. 


Saturday 24th March 1860

Left Maitland, arrived at Sydney at ½ past 5. On board were Goldfinch and his wife, Robertson the Premier, Pringle, McHattie, Roxburgh.

On arrival in Sydney drove up to the Forbe's and found that Grace was at Enmore, to which I immediately went by train.



(pages missed, not photographed - can see ink of lines on other side  of page)



Wednesday 28th March 1860 - in Sydney


Thursday 29th March 1860


Friday 30th March 1860- Sydney

Grace and I drove in to Sydney and dined with C.K. Murray. 

Saw Miss Bayley at the Forbes' for the first time since her return from England or since I saw her at the Globe some 6 years ago.

Saw Mrs Master (Emma Macarthur) also at the Forbes', much changed for the worse since I saw her at Demondrille.


Saturday 31st March 1860

The Commemoration of the University, a wet day unfortunately, and unable to go with Grace and Mrs Wise.


Sunday 1st April 1860

Raining off and on the whole day. Notwithstanding, Grace and Mrs E. Wise travelled to the University to hear the Cathedral service, with (Edith?) Manning did not go.


Monday 2nd April 1860

The carriage went in for Fanny to Lady Manning's, Edith Manning returned home at same  time. Accompanied Miss Bayley to the Glebe who has been staying at the Mannings. Milly and Dr Belisario.


Tuesday 3rd April 1860

Went over by myself to the Rangers, saw Russell and Charlotte. The former goes to Moreton Bay tomorrow night.

Went over and back by G. Marshalls boat.


Wednesday 4th April 1860 - Enmore

Called at the Breillates, Fanny went in to Sydney with Milly. Grace laid up with headache. Dined at Forbes'. Drank tea at the Club, afterwards went to Legislative Assembly with A. Hood. J Russell left this night for Moreton Bay.

E. Wise arrived from Goulburn.


Thursday 5th April 1860

Went in to Sydney with E. Wise, called at David's chambers, then to Circular Quay. Returned again to Enmore, had dinner and then went a second time to Sydney. Called ar the Forbes, twice; drank tea with them, and met there Bell (and his wife) fo the "Jois." And Signor Cutolo, the new Pianist. A most magnificent performer. He and Mr Bell siging duets out of the Fioratine. I was obliged to leave at 9 o'clock, in order to be in time for the Newtown Omnibus.

Milly to Dr Belisario with Taylor. 


Friday 6th April 1860 - "Enmore"

Lovely day, cool wind blowing. E. Wise and wife to Church. Grace, Fanny and myself did not go.


Saturday 7th April 1860

Fanny and Grace went in to Sydney, in the carriage. Milly and I on Omnibus. They called at the Blands and T. A. Morrisons(?). Grace and I went across on a boat to the "Kangaroo" from Woolloomooloo Bay. The steamer (expected?) to go at 5 o'clock disappointed us. Fanny went to the Mitchells.


Sunday 8th April 1860 - at "The Rangers"

Read prayers in the morning. After dinner Grace and I walked down to the jetty and watched the people coming and returning in steamers from Sydney and Mossman's Bay. Killed a small snake on our return to the house.


Monday 9th April 1860 - Easter - at "The Ranges"

Numbers of holiday people came over from Sydney in steamers to Mossman's Bay. Aunt Sophy and Fanny accompanied by Edward and Henry Manning and Franky Forbes also came over and sometime afterwards David joined the party here. After luncheon he took the youngsters out in Marshalls boat fishing, but the fish would not bite. He brother and Fanny owing to the crowded state of the steamers preferred returning with him in Mulballs boat.


Tuesday 10 April 1860

Grace and I went with Milly in a bout and landed at Woolloomooloo Bay. The swell caused by a passing steamer nearly washed Milly off the head of the boat where he was sitting. Milly went to Dr Belisario's, returned late in the evening with Grace, Milly and by George Millwall's boat


Wednesday 11th April


Thurday 12th April.


Friday 13th April 1860 - at the "Rangers"


Saturday 14th April 1860 

Called at Dr Blands. 3 times.


Sunday 15th April 1860 - at the "Rangers"

Went in to Sydney by Tom Mulball's boat. Went to the Club, lunched there. Came on to rain. Called on Dr Bland.

Walked back to the "Ranges" crossing the Ferry in the Steam boat. John Clements drove me part of the way to Darling Point, to the Hay's, but the rain made us return back.


Monday 16th April 1860 - at the "Rangers"

Walked to the Ferry with Milly., Fanny did not come in to Sydney till late. The carriage and horse were sent to Parramatta, and Fanny herself leaves Enmore tomorrow under Tingcombes (exit?). David at Dr Blands. Milly went out with Fanny to Enmore for the night: had his photograph taken himself which he gave to Fanny.

The "Gnew(?)" sailed this night, but the steamer "Williams" ran foul of her and did her so much damage obliged to put back.


Tuesday 7th April 1860

Went over by T.Malballs boat to Sydney early; and reached Enmore by Omnibus by ½ past 9, in time to see Fanny off to the train at10 o'clock for Parramatta. She was accompanied by Tingcombe. Miss Mitchell and Edith Manning I found in the  Edward Wise's. Called on Dr Bland who has their Cowper relative and the P.M. at the Richmond River and afterwards I called on Robertson and asked him to give me the Sub-Commissionership at the Gold Fields which I had refused previously. He promised to consider by application. Called on Edward Wise at the Supreme Court. The Mail Steamer "Ernell" returned this morning, the sea very rough in crossing over to Mossman's Bay and the wind blowing hard.


Wednesday 18 April 1860

Pouring rain all night, and nearly all day. Milly laid up with severe cold and cough.  Did not go in to Sydney. Philip arrived in Sydney from the Hunter.


Thursday 19th April 1860

Walked in and out of Sydney. Philip at the Rangers when I returned in the evening.


Friday 20th April 1860

Walked in and out  of Sydney. Philip and I dined at the Forbes.'


Saturday 21st April 1860

Walked in and out of Sydney. Lunched at the Café with C.V. Manning, met G. Campbell there, also Jeffreys. Wrote to Aunt Mary Anne by the "Emen" steamer.


Sunday 22nd April 1860 - at the "Ranges"

Intended to have gone to Sydney and dined at C.R. Murrays (Mannings?) but the Steamer did not arrive Mossman's Bay till after 2 o'clock, too latte then to go over.  Philip came over after dinner by Steamer, and returned again in her at 6 p.m.

The "Enew" Steamer sailed.


Monday 23rd April 1860

Lunched at the Club. Mt. T. A. Murray


Tuesday 24th April 1860

Lunched with Philip at the Royal Hotel, saw Damaresque there. 

Walked in and out of Sydney, Milly accompanied me in, and afterwards he went up to the Forbes' as Philip promised to take Franky and himself to the Theatre tonight.


Wednesday 25th April 1860 - at the "Rangers"

Walked in and out to Sydney. On reaching which, the rain came pouring down in torrents, and continued all day afterwards. Lunched at the Club. Called at the Forbes', found Philip there. Grace and I were to have met him at the Circular Quay at 10 o'clock but Mulball the boatman never came, although we all went down to the jetty and waited for him. Heard of Fanny afterward. Bathurst on Thursday last. Saw an old lady thrown out of a horse cab near the Hostends(?),  the horse stumbling over the newly laid gas pipes. Had a dreadfully wet walk home in the evening, pouring rain all the way, and the roads all sordid from the rain.

(in light pencil) Mrs Wm Smith (Sutton?) - -  in Bathurst, concussion of the brain -  - no hopes of her life!



Thursday 26th April 1860

Pouring rain all night and day, unable to go in to Sydney.


Friday 27th April 1860

Raining all day. Reading Dickens "Tale of 2 Cities." 

Philip came over late in the afternoon, slept the night.


Saturday 28th April 1860

Pouring rain all day. Philip left after breakfast. I accompanied him for about ½ a mile intending to go in to Sydney, but the rain was so intense obliged to return. Got drenched the short time out.


Sunday 29th April 1860 - (light pencil, illegible)

Walked in after (lunch?) to Sydney the -  -  - 

The sea is so flooded with fresh water from the different creeks and  - - - that it is quite fresh and - - by being clear - -


Monday 30th April 1860 - at the "Rangers"

Breakfasted at the Club. Dined at the Forbes'. And late in the day went with Philip in Punde's(?) boat to the "Rangers."


Tuesday 1st May 1860

Blowing very strongly. Which prevented Grace from going in Philip's boat to Sydney. He was obliged to get Charlotte to send one of the Germans to help pull the boat over to Woolloomooloo bay. Philip left by Steamer tonight for NewCastle.


Wednesday 2nd May 1860

Went in with Grace and Milly by Mulball's boat to Sydney, did shopping, and had  Grace's  photograph taken at Dalton's £1.10. Lunched at the Pastry Cooks.

(light pencil - reflecting in camera flash - illegible) Grace -  - for a cook for Charlotte and brought her over on the boat - - bad appearance the woman  - - if she can cook.


Thursday 3rd May 1860(light pencil - reflecting in camera flash - illegible)

-- - - the Australian - - -my Policy  - - , as security 

-- -    - 

-Sherman(?) £15 for Livery


Friday 4th May 1860(light pencil - reflecting in camera flash - illegible)

A lovely day,  walked in to Sydney  --  -  - "Cattan - Wallah(?)"  --- Bolts wharf last night is relieved. The 2nd Mate  -   -  this evening in a boat of  -- -- and over to Wilsons Point, and afterwards - -- of a Mr Gilchrist was thrown -  -  his garden a  --


Saturday 5th May 1860(light pencil - reflecting in camera flash - illegible)

The  - - of Cambridge Boat Club gave their  - - today. 150 people there were present I believe. David Forbes gave me a Ticket but I did not avail myself of it, for various reasons. Walked to Sydney and back. Philip laid up all day with headache and fever, the commencement of the influenza which is prevalent in Sydney.


Sunday 6th May 1860(light pencil - reflecting in camera flash - illegible)

 -  - but was obliged to  -  - again attacked with  - - shivering, cough and  =  - pains in all my bones,  

Steamer for Sydney plyed between Circular Quay and Mossman's Bay from 


Monday 7th May 1860(light pencil - reflecting in camera flash - illegible)

A - day and my cold or influenza worse. - - did not get up till after 4 o'clock in the afternoon.

Dr Bland called on Charlotte, -  -  of time, as one of the  --  - laid up with influenza and all  - -  - suffering from.

met Mr Ferguson, manager - -of the branch in Bathurst was thrown from his  - on the  - - near Wises'. - frigate "Morgue" given - I was to attend but could not go.


Tuesday 8th May 1860

A lovely day.


Wednesday 9th May 1860

Confined to my bed with influenza


Thursday 10th May 1860



Friday 11th May 1860



Saturday 12th May 1860



Sunday 13th May 1860

Aunt Sophy and Franky came over to see me


Monday 14th May 1860


Tuesday 15th May 1860


Wednesday 16th May1860

Took a walk with Milly to Cremorne. A lovely(?) day.


Thursday 17th May 1860(light pencil - reflecting in camera flash - illegible)

-- - walked out for an hour. 


Friday 18th May 1860(light pencil - reflecting in camera flash - illegible)

Aunt Mary Anne's birthday

Walked in Sydney the first time since I was ill. Slept at the Club.

Mrs - (Sullivan?) of Yass, just returned from England after a years absence.


Saturday 19th May 1860

Dined at David's. his birthday, met Cloats(?) the Gold Commissioner there.  Returned to  the Rangers in the evening by Malhall's boat.

Rolleston walked over and lunched at the "Rangers." 

Heard today of the probability of being appointed R.M. at Wellington and Dubbo.


(Pages missing?)




Wednesday 23rd May 1860 (light pencil - reflecting in camera flash - illegible)



Thursday 24th May 1860(light pencil - reflecting in camera flash - illegible)


Slept at the Club. Went to   -- Ball about - - played,  - - daughter there.


Friday 25th May 1860

Had a bad headache, dined with the Forbes. Slept at the Club again. Miss Mitchell there.


Saturday 26th May 1860(light pencil - reflecting in camera flash - illegible)

-- over in Ma-lls  boat. 

-- --


(Pages missing?)



Wednesday 30th May 1860

Drove in and out of Sydney in Russells 4 - - the horse is fresh and might  - - would have bolted. Dined at the Forbes.'  A  --   day of the Races.


Thursday 31st May 1860

- dine here. -   - them as I returned Sydney, not far from the Ferry. I  paid Mr E. Wise a visit at Newtown, dined there, Mrs Watson the widow  of the Clergyman is staying there.

Very cold and windy, the dust blowing in all directions. Raining heavily at 3.


Friday 1st June 1860

Very cold, windy and raining. 


Saturday 2nd June 1860(back to ink)

Met Dr Morris of Tamworth, went to Lindsay's with him. 


Sunday 3rd June 1860

Walked in to Sydney, and then by Omnibus to Newton, dined at E. Wises.


Monday 4th June 1860

Russell dined at Hodgsons.'


Tuesday 5th June 1860


Wednesday 6th June 1860

Went in to Sydney. Threatening for rain all day, and in evening it commenced.


Thursday 7th June 1860

Raining all day. Towards evening Charlotte very unwell, Russell sent for Dr Ward.

I did not go to  Sydney today, had a very bad cold.


Friday 8th June 1860

Cold windy, and cloudy


Saturday 9th June 1860



Thomas Arundel

Paid in Bathurst £1.0.0

Coat 5.0

January Cash£1.0.0

February 13th Cheque£2.0.0

Good Chohen & Levy£2.0.0



July Thomas Arundell£1.3.0

Grey Saddler 1858£1.12.6

Shoemaker      2.6

In Maitland(?)       2

Leading Harness£5.0.0

Removing Captains Shoes     4.0

Campbells 2/- Duracks(?) 10/-    12.6

George(?) Inn 6/-, Barnaby's Inn - Blacksmith  5/- £2.0.0

Inn Redford 5/-, mll 8/6 repairs shaft of  Dog Cart  16.6

Pringles Apron(?) 5/- horse on - 2/6    7.6.

Stationery Bill Tamworth£1.1.0

Tamworth Hotel (6 nights)£2.11.0

2 Horses at Patrol  Stables 6 nights 

Veness' Inn "Manilla" £1.11.0

Barraba Inn     7.6

Mudgee Inn £1.15.0

Gig repairs£1.0.0.

Bowmans 2/6, Talbrages Inn 3/-   5.6

McCubbin, Coolah Inn     15.0

Alison, Okey Creek Inn 14.0

Gunnedah Inn£1.1.0

Carroll oil matches 2.6

Straps, tea ,  Tamworth       4.6

Tareela,  finding horses       5.0

Servant       3.6

Manilla Inn£1.11.0



Brought up.£25.15.6

Barraba Inn, lunch and halter        10.0

Manilla Inn£1.11.0August

Tamworth Inn£1.0.0

Coporal 2.6

Saddler repairs, harness     5.0

Repairing Dog Cat & 4 remove £1.4.0

Stamps 1.6 September 

Flides servants       10.0

Paper 2/- stamps 5/- hobbles 3/-

Oil /6 cards 1/6 Whipend 1/- 14.0

Halter 2.6

Accommodation House Goonoo Goonoo £1.11.0

Servants (at Kings) 10.0

Horse brush          3.0

Servants at Kings          3.0

Bracken regs Inn£1.15.6

Washing 10.6

Hay (Williams) £1.0.0

Washing 10.0

Corn 8/-

Blacksmith 'Captain' 8/- & Tommy 2/-  10.0

Music Clarke      6.0

Watch glass      3.0

Servants (Flides) 5/- 5/- 2/-          12.0

Paper 15/- stamps 5/- Envelopes 2/6  12.6

Camphor 1.0

Pringle's man       2.6

2 cut hay,  and 2 weeks rations for Tommy from Flide 


10 nights at Barrech at 4/4d per horse.

2' Pot pot, tea sugar       6.6

Servant  Lloyd 2.6

Servant Flides       3.0

Hay (1 cut)

Brackenridge Inn£1.3.0

Servants 3.0

Glover 4/6, 6 Straps 5/-     9.6

1 cut hay from Flide 10/-

Veness's Inn Manilla£1.1.026th

Barraba Inn 7.6

Washing 4.0Oct

Hobbles     5.0

Bridle   12.6

Buller     6.0

Servants Tareela  7.6

Barraba Inn     6.0

Stamps 2.6

Veness's Inn     5.0

Haircut Constable 2.6

Hobbles 5.0

Washing     5.6Oct

Brackenridge Inn£2.17.0

Servants 5.0

Saddles      5.0

Flides servant -- 6.0

Man showing way      2.6


Humphreys Servants 4.6

Flides man finding horses      5.0

Church      2.6

Fishing lines 6.0

Stamps      5.0

Washing 12.6

Brackenridge Inn £3.17.0Nov

Servants       7.6

Hat     18.0


Poor man       4.6

Tommy's meat       4.0

Novel       3.0

Servants       5.0

Washing                 13.0

Church 1.0

Flide servant       5.0

Value (Veness?) 15/-

Ink, envelopes 1.0

Inn, Carroll        3.6 Dec

-- Woolshed 8.0

Horse shod        4.0

Inn (Woolshed)      15.0

Glen Quinn washing 5.0

Servants 5.0

Inn Glover (from Glover?) 3.0


Boggabrie Servants washing 5.0

Inn Groves, the Rock        3.0

Lunch at the Carroll Inn        5.0

Tommy for meat and flour        5.0Jan 5

Poor man 2.6

Toothbrush and powder     2.6

Hand-(?)        6

Servant     2.6


Indscript to --£1.1.0

Church 2.0

Haircut 2.6

Thomas Arundel£1.0.0 (light pencil again)

Anthony (servant  at Inn) 5.0

Chamber(?)     2,6

Washing £1.0.0

Church     2.0

Bilands(?)     3.0

 - - Tom     7.0

Stamps, Tommy's meat 6/8     7.8

Post at Coghlans 18/6


Glover -  note paper 

Note paper & envelopes

Brackenridge Inn Bill (3 weeks) £9.18.0

½ the horses with Philip £3.0.0


Brought forward


Expenses with Phil Veness Inn £1.4.6

Mrs McKidds Inn & Blacksmith £1.10.0Feb

Veness Inn £1.18.0

2nd  Pot 1/3, sugar 2.0

Thomas Arundel£2.0.0

Servants Tareela 15/- and stamps 5/- £1.0.0

200 of Hay from Williams

100 of Hay from Bailey

Tommy's board at Inn

Mm expenses at Brackenridge. 


Brought up from other side       £30.4.6

26 OctCash (P.P.)4

8 NovCash (S.F.W.10

10 NovCash 1

14 NovCash (Washing 12.6)1

15 NovCash1

15 NovCash1

15 NovCash1.10.0

16 NovCash1.10.0

27 NovHat1

27 NovCash1

27 NovWatch (repairs)1

30 NovExpenses1.10

23 DecCash (sent to Grace)3.15

Jan 3Cash1.10

Jan 8Cash (P.P.)3

Jan 8Cash (P.P.)3

Jan 16Peter Nowlan (washing)1

Feb 13Cash (a. Club)3.15.0

Feb 13Thomas Arundel2

Feb 20Stamps etc1

Feb 21Cash (Connor01

Feb 21Cash (P.P.)1.4.6

Mar 2Tailor1.5.6

Mar 3Mr Barrett(Bennet) Watch 1




Cheques on Bank of Australasia


Mr Hewson1.12

Mr McCubbin3

Cohen & Levy1.1

Tamworth Inn2.6

Veness Inn1.11

3 AugMrs McKidd1.

24 AugMr Veness 1.11

25 AugMr Bracken reg1

1 SeptMr Mabbin Blacksmith 1.4

3 SeptCash1

3 SeptCash 1.0

4 Sept J.M. Expenses 'Goonoo Goonoo 1.11

12 Sept Cash1

13 Sept Mrs Brackenreg1.15.6

16 Sept Sept Cash1

19 Sept Hay 1

20 Sept Blacksmith1

20 Sept Cash1

24 Sept Cash1

26 Sept Mr Brakenreg1.3

26 Sept Sept Cash1

17 OctOct Cash1.10

19 Oct Oct Mrs McKidd1



Transcribed from Betty Harrison Family Archives, by Michael Heath-Caldwell, Brisbane 2009

(Home)  (James Augustus Milbourne Marsh)  (1838 diary)  (1840 diary)  (1844 diary)  (1845 letters)  (1846 diary)  (1847 diary)  (1847b diary)  (1848 diary)  (1851 diary)  (1859 diary)  (1873 diary)  (1885 diary)  (1888 diary)  (1889 diary)  (1889b diary)  (diary Lady Mary Ann Meek nee Grant)